Thursday, March 29, 2012

Adventure in trying to become a runner.....


      In 2010 my ex and I split ( amicably) and I moved out. All the sudden I had this desire to challenge myself into doing something that I never thought I could ever do.......RUNNING!! I jumped right into and signed up for a half marathon months down the road knowing that I would only keep up with the challenge that I had created if I had spent the money on the race. So the training began. I used Hal Higdon's half marathon training schedule and I stuck with it. October of 2010 I ran my first half ( I injured my knee at mile 6 and had to walk the remainder of the race) and I finished it. With the injury I was soooo frustrated that I could not "run" across the finish line so I was determined to run the half again the next year. It took months of me not running to let my knee heal completely before I could run again so I joined the gym that they had just opened in town so that I could work on strengthening my knee...... I was determined to complete my goal of running across the finish line at my next half. I never thought that I would enjoy being active. I always HATED the gym.....the idea of running.....etc. Now I was starting to really enjoy it. I wasn't really going at it hard core, just keeping my body active. I decided to attempt to run and signed up for my first 10k in July 2011. I was so excited when I crossed the finish line and had NO problems with my knee! I completed a few more little races and then in Oct 2011 I completed my goal and RAN across the finish line of my 2nd Half marathon.


Now I am not a fast runner at all!!! And even though I have completed those few races I still have a hard time considering me a runner at all!! But now that is one of my next goals...... to shorten my time and not feel like I am going to die when I do.... : )

Few pictures from some of my other races......



2 comments:

  1. I think it is safe to say you ARE a runner!

    I am also on this weight loss journey and recently found a new love for running.

    You now have a new follower :)

    I don't have many followers on my blog either and no one comments but it still keeps me motivated and accountable.

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy for being my new follower (Soo excited I now have a follower:)) I am going to go over and follow you too. Now we can help keep eachother accountable!!

      Delete